Indian Railways is all set for a giant technology leap! Engine-less trains till now have been available to metro networks and suburban travel in India, but in June 2018, Indian Railways is all set to roll out its first self-propelled semi-high speed train set for inter-city travel! India’s Minister of Railway, Mr. Piyush Goyal took to his official Twitter account to make the announcement.
- Codenamed of train is “Train 18” based on the year it is being manufactured in.
- Train 18 is 100% ‘make in India’ project and the train is being manufactured at Integral coach factory in Chennai. and it is manufactured at half the cost of similar train import.
- The fully air-conditioned train set will have comfortable seats and the interiors will boast of diffused lighting.
- Train 18 will feature 16 chair-car type coaches, both executive and non-executive. There will be two executive chair cars and 14 non-executive chair cars.
- Train 18 will offer GPS-based passenger information system. passengers get onboard WiFi and infotainment.
- Train 18 is set to be tested at a speed of 180 Kmph.
- Train 18 will have automatic interconnecting doors and the connecting areas will be spacious for easy movement.
- Train 18 coaches will also have space to park wheel-chairs – a step aimed at making the train sets friendly for disabled passengers.
- Train 18 include halogen-free rubber-on-rubber flooring, energy-efficient LED lighting, zero discharge bio-vacuum toilets with touch-free bathroom fittings.
- Train 18 will have continuous windows and will be fully air-conditioned with comfortable seats and interiors that will boast diffused lighting.
- Train 18 will boast of zero discharge bio-vacuum toilets.